Applications are the backbone for organizations and their processes, irrespective of size, mode, and industry of the businesses.
According to IBM, less than 20% of applications are currently in the cloud, and this proportion is expected to increase, resulting in both hybrid and multi-cloud adoption.
Many Legacy applications have become obsolete, as they no longer respond to the dynamics and performance that your business needs, result in high administration and maintenance costs, and considerably slow down your business’ innovation efforts.
Challenges to successful Modernization:
- IT skills gap – Organizations struggle with the IT skills gap and slowed down issue management with a lack of availability of skills.
- Access to tools and technology – Modernization initiatives, especially involving refactoring or rebuilding into a cloud-native state with DevOps microservices, LogicApps, AWS Lambda, Glue, Data Pipeline, etc. require access to specialized tools and technology.
- Business Risks with Lack of support, delayed service delivery, and disrupted availability of applications.
- Performance Risks with multiple applications interoperating and interacting with each other.
- Lack of a Cloud-Agnostic modernization strategy in virtue of partners having specialization in a single Cloud platform.
71% of CEOs say the priority for their Chief Information Officers is improved Agility and faster Time to Market. – McKinsey & Company, 2019
Building Blocks to Modernization:
- Envisioning Business needs
Design strategies that allow you to create new opportunities for your business.
- Exploring New Technologies
Introduce emerging trends and technologies based on new business opportunities.
- Empowering the Workforce
Bring transformation to your company and add value to your business and workforce.
- Operating your Systems
Maintain and leverage your application environment running on Amazon Web Services and Azure.
- Modernizing Capabilities
Prepare your business application(s) for new environments and digital challenges.
- Analyzing Data
Understand the insights for continuous improvement.
Different paths exist to application modernization, helping to introduce the latest functionalities and better align performance, security, resiliency, elasticity, modularity, interoperability challenges, and the automation of operational tasks with your needs. Allwyn assesses your IT estate; depending on your business goals, calibration plans and the current state of the application(s) you are modernizing, you may consider different paths:
- Replacing the application with a SaaS solution ensuring a successful data migration.
- “Lift and Shift” the application as-is on a cloud to modernize features and enhance overall agility.
- Re-platform applications with slight coding changes to make them suitable to Cloud PaaS, and with this enabling the ability to thrive in a cloud environment.
- Re-architecting (or refactoring) applications, using techniques for decomposing existing legacy applications into microservices (that later can be containerized), gaining mainly business agility, stability, and the possibility of supporting unexpected peaks.
- Rebuilding the application as a cloud-native application to fully leverage cloud capabilities
Benefits of Application Modernization:
- Modernizing an application can bring your OpEx down with less administration and support, as well as a boost for your innovation strategy
- Cost savings and efficient scaling of cloud services to leverage different features and price structures offered by AWS and Azure
- Introducing machine learning and automation
- Increase speed and agility
- Support employee productivity
- Improve your customer experience
How Allwyn modernizes your Enterprise Apps and Infrastructure
We deliver Agile cloud solutions Microsoft Azure or AWS (Government of Commercial), which drive operational efficiencies, reduce risk, and tighten security.
We accomplish migrating with AWS at a pace that is consistent with your business, leveraging one of the most reliable infrastructures. With AWS, we can lift and shift your applications or completely re-platform them. AWS allows you to gain efficiency, reduce costs while utilizing the most of your existing investment.
Microsoft’s Azure gives your business options beyond the straightforward lift and shift. It helps modernize applications faster with containers and adds additional functionality with serverless architectures. Azure makes incorporating DevOps effortless throughout the lifecycle of your apps whilst making use of data-driven intelligence.